15005 Sherbrooke St. East Montréal, Québec H1A 3X1
Tel: (514) 498-7682
Fax: (514) 498-7909
In 1907, The Mount Royal Cemetery Company made the decision to expand its property on the island of Montreal. After considering both ends of the island, the Trustees finally bought land from a Pointe-aux-Trembles farmer, George Irving. The cemetery which was named Hawthorn-Dale started its operation on January 1, 1910.
Back then, Pointe-aux-Trembles, located a few kilometers away from Montreal was a little village. Therefore easy access had to be provided by Montrealers, A deal was made between the cemetery and the Montreal Tramway Company to have a special tramway car going back and forth between Montreal and Pointe-aux-Trembles. Thus coffins were brought to the cemetery easily and the roads, in bad condition, were avoided.
On January 4, 1910, 3 days after the cemetery’s debut, the special tramway started to transport bodies. Only coffins were taken by that tramway at the beginning; families in mourning had to rake the regular tramway. Later, at more convenient tramway was built to allow families to be taken to the cemetery at the same time as their loved ones. During the terrible flu epidemic of 1918, nine to ten coffins were sometimes carried at once.
That tramway was used for the last time in 1927. The road conditions had improved and it was therefore possible to reach the cemetery by Notre-Dame Street suing a hearse. Over the years Pointe-aux-Trembles reached the size of a “town” and after a referendum, was annexed to the city of Montreal in 1982.
Hawthorn-Dale Cemetery today offers a wide range of cemetery services. Burial rights can be purchased for traditional casket burials or for the burial of cremated remains. In the mid nineties landscape architects were retained to create a plan which respected the original aspects of the site; trees and shrubs were planted. Hawthorn trees were planted along the main paths that cross the burial areas and a bronze sculpture was installed close to the main road. A stream that runs perpendicular to the cemetery’s principal axis attracts many varieties of bird life.
A new funeral home, “Complexe Funeraire des Trembles” was built on the site in 1994. The facility has a large chapel and visitation salons for bereaved families. This complex, luxurious and welcoming can fulfill any needs for all types of ceremonies and rituals for all denominations. Qualified staff can organize everything required for your cemetery and funeral needs, all in one convenient location.
1297 Chemin de la Forêt, Outremont, Québec H2V 2P9