In 1901, The Mount Royal Cemetery Company established the first crematorium in Canada with funds donated by Sir William C. Macdonald, a well-known tobacco tycoon and great philanthropist. This building is the oldest of its kind in Canada and was the only crematorium in Quebec until 1975. The first cremation took place on April 18, 1902.
The Mount Royal Crematorium is located in the north east portion of the cemetery. Although the building has gone through many improvements, the original chapel remains intact as a reflection of the turn of the century architecture. A second chapel was added in 1984 as a contrast to the original chapel, with a more contemporary style.
1297 Chemin de la Forêt, Outremont, Québec H2V 2P9