Why should I pre plan my funeral arrangements or those of someone I love?
There are many reasons why we choose to pre-plan. From simple, matter of fact, financial reasons (or logical ones like the nursing home requires a plan in place) to complicated emotional ones. Here are some of the reasons that might make sense to you:
- I have taken care of my “will” and my “power of attorney”, however, I know that it is only part of the equation. To ensure that everything is looked after, I want to take care of my funeral and cemetery pre-arrangements as well.
- I have left all my final wishes in my “will” but I know that a “will” is not typically looked at until after the funeral services, and so I want to make sure my wishes are respected.
- I want to leave as much as I can for my loved ones to inherit after my death, planning my funeral and paying for it in advance was a logical and loving thing for me to do.
- My children don’t always get along, by making my pre-arrangements everything is outlined in advance and all the major decisions are taken care of thereby reducing the potential for disagreements.
- I don’t want my loved ones to be faced with the financial burden of planning for my funeral. I want everything to be taken care of so there is less for them to worry about.
- I hear that funeral costs only rise over time, but that by pre-planning, I can freeze the cost of services to today’s rates. that makes good financial sense to me.
- I want to decide what happens to me after my death, I have specific beliefs and I would like them respected.
- In my country we did things in a certain way, I want to have a funeral in keeping with my religious and cultural traditions, the way they did things back in my country.
- I worry about my children, even though they are quite capable, I know that upon my death there will be so many things for them to look after, taking care of my funeral arrangements in advance and easing some of the difficult decisions just seems like the right thing to do.
- My mother is going into a government sponsored residence, they will liquidate her assets but I heard that I can prepay her funeral expenses with her money first.
- I want my family to know that when I die all they have to do is make one simple phone call.
- I had to take care of a family member funeral services when they died, I know how difficult it is to make all these decisions in such a short amount of time, I didn’t really know what they wanted and I found myself second guessing myself all the time. I don’t want to be responsible to put someone else into that situation.
For these reasons and many more it makes sense to plan ahead. Planning ahead is a loving act of kindness that your loved ones will be thankful for.
How do I start?
Contact us by phone (514-279-7358) or email to book an appointment without obligation. One of our “Family Service Counsellors” will be pleased to assist you.
What should I bring?
Just you. It does help if you already have an idea about how you envision things but if not, don’t worry that’s what we are here for. It may also be a good idea to have your Medicare and Social Incurance Number handy.
What can I expect?
Our “Family Service Counsellor” will take the time listen to your needs and tailor services that make sense to you. You get to choose what you want and what you don’t. We will spend the time necessary to answer all your questions, on average we find that this takes about two (2) hours (sometimes less and sometimes more but this is up to you). If you think you would like to take care of both your funeral and cemetery arrangements please expect the meeting to be longer.
If I make an appointment, will I have to finalize everything right away?
No, take the time to think about it. We have been here for over 160 years, we know that these are not easy decisions and we understand the need to carefully consider your options. We want you to feel comfortable with your decisions.
What if things change? Or I change my mind about certain things?
No problem. Over time we find that our needs, wants, and situations change. These are your arrangements you can make changes at any time.
What if I move away?
You may cancel at any time and have the amount you paid returned to you without penalty.
For more information or to set up an appointment and meet with one of our family service counsellors, with no obligation call : (514) 279-7358.